Monday, January 28, 2013

My Favorite Part of Me is....

Happy Monday
(well as happy as they can be),

I have a lot of catching up to do on the ideas I've been gathering for the past yearish, so pardon me if the ideas seem random.

I believe I mentioned before that I just finished a long-term sub job for a 3rd grade class and let me just say I miss those kids, staff, school and even community.  The school was in a small rural community (very farmish), the school was small and had about 400 kids K-8, and there was this delicious lunch spot that I frequented when I was too lazy to bring a lunch.  Words can't even begin to describe how amazing the staff was there.  Great ideas flowing through the hallways and smiling faces every corner you turned.  This idea I'm going to "store" into my save files on this blog is such a cute one.

The idea behind this writing activity is that the students choose a part of their body they love (could easily tie this lesson into a science lesson) and write about why they love it.  Some of the body parts these first graders wrote about and why they loved them were so cute!


My Favorite Part of Me......

Teaching writing is always a struggle for me.  I search and search for great, fun ideas that actually inspire kids to write.  So many kids struggle to find a passion to write and writing is often overlooked when teaching.  I want ideas that are not only fun for the kids but fun for me to teach.  The fact that I got a kick out of their final pieces I can only imagine what the process was like inside the classroom.  I love that this teacher also took pictures of the kids showing what their favorite part of them is :-) 

Can't wait to try this out with my future class!
~K

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    You blog looks so inviting. I love the background. This blog post touched my heart. To connect with kids in this way and then have to leave would be very difficult for me as well. I find the project that you did with them to be inspiring. I personally think that it is important for people to love their bodies and all of its parts and our media does not teach this. So to see that educators are is encouraging. Hope to read about your future classes on this blog.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blog, beautiful idea! The old maxim "write what you know" has perhaps become a cliché, but it's applied so delightfully here! So often I find myself impatient with the step of figuring out just where the students are coming from -- meeting them where they are -- but it really is the most important job. Thank you! --George Thomson

    ReplyDelete